Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Add new columns and update to 600MB table online mode with zero downtime (Oracle 11gR2)
Add new columns and update to 600MB table online mode with zero downtime [message #674719] Tue, 12 February 2019 08:23 Go to next message
srinivas.k2005
Hi Experts,

I have a table assume TEST which is accessed by live application all time(UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE), it has 10 million records in PROD currently(Avg row length - 51, Size - 600MB). I need to achieve below
1. Add two new NULLABLE columns
2. Update those new columns with values from another TEST_REF table if records match
3. Zero Downtime, no impact to live system
4. No records should be locked on the live table due to the update operation for the newly added columns

I thought I can use DBMS_REDEFINITION to achieve above, but I am stuck while I update values and I feel there should be simply another approach.
Below is my approach which does not satisfy my requirement completely, need some help.
Can you validate if my below approach is correct or is there any best way I can achieve?

Approach 1:

CREATE TABLE TEST ( ID NUMBER PRIMARY KEY);

Insert into TEST VALUES (1);
Insert into TEST VALUES (2);
Insert into TEST VALUES (3);
Insert into TEST VALUES (4);
Insert into TEST VALUES (5);
commit;

CREATE TABLE TEST_XREF ( ID NUMBER,Task VARCHAR2(10),cv VARCHAR2(10),desc1 varchar2(100));

Insert into TEST_XREF VALUES (1, 'Test','Vars','Test1');
Insert into TEST VALUES (2, 'Test','Vars','Test1');
Insert into TEST VALUES (3, 'Test','Vars','Test1');
Insert into TEST VALUES (4, 'Test','Vars','Test1');
Insert into TEST VALUES (5, 'Test','Vars','Test1');

commit;

EXEC DBMS_REDEFINITION.CAN_REDEF_TABLE ('MY_SCHEMA','TEST',DBMS_REDEFINITION.CONS_USE_PK);

CREATE TABLE TEST_REORG AS SELECT * FROM TEST WHERE 1=2 ;

EXEC DBMS_REDEFINITION.START_REDEF_TABLE('MY_SCHEMA','TEST', 'TEST_REORG');

ALTER TABLE TEST_REORG ADD ( Task VARCHAR2(10),cv VARCHAR2(10));

UPDATE TEST_REORG BASED on TEST_XREF --This is not allowed, how to achieve this

DECLARE
      N PLS_INTEGER;
BEGIN
    DBMS_REDEFINITION.COPY_TABLE_DEPENDENTS('MY_SCHEMA', 'TEST','TEST_REORG',
    DBMS_REDEFINITION.CONS_ORIG_PARAMS, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE, N);
END;
/

EXEC DBMS_REDEFINITION.SYNC_INTERIM_TABLE('MY_SCHEMA', 'TEST', 'TEST_REORG');

EXEC DBMS_REDEFINITION.FINISH_REDEF_TABLE ('MY_SCHEMA', 'TEST', 'TEST_REORG');

EXEC UTL_RECOMP.RECOMP_SERIAL('MY_SCHEMA') ;

DROP TABLE MY_SCHEMA.TEST_REORG;

Problems with approach 1:

1. If I am unable to update the records within redef, I have to do the update after redef which will again cause a lock on the table and does not give any meaning of using re-def

Approach 2:

1. Create a table replica table with 10 million records
2. Add new columns
3. Update the new columns with another table
4. Rename the table

Problems with approach 2:

1. Rename can take time and cause downtime
2. I need to again build logic to sync the delta
3. If I delay in delta sync my web application may face failures

Thanks,
SRK
Re: Add new columns and update to 600MB table online mode with zero downtime [message #674722 is a reply to message #674719] Tue, 12 February 2019 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>3. Zero Downtime, no impact to live system
NOT Possible

The existing rows MUST be "momentarily" locked when the new columns are UPDATED.

Nothing in the existing application now references or accesses the 2 new columns since they don't exist at the present.
>If I delay in delta sync my web application may face failures
So explain how "my web application may face failure", when application does not know the 2 new columns exist.
Re: Add new columns and update to 600MB table online mode with zero downtime [message #674724 is a reply to message #674722] Tue, 12 February 2019 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srinivas.k2005
Agreed with you BlackSwan, a Web application may not have a failure in approach 2 as those changes will go late after DB changes and web application will point those columns only after DB changes are complete. But cannot achieve it with zero downtime is something not feeling good.
Re: Add new columns and update to 600MB table online mode with zero downtime [message #674734 is a reply to message #674719] Wed, 13 February 2019 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Are you sure that you cannot do it all with dbms_redefinition? The col_mapping argument of start_redef_table can be very clever for deriving values.

By the way, I wish you wouldn't say "record" when you mean "row". It is so annoying.
Re: Add new columns and update to 600MB table online mode with zero downtime [message #674752 is a reply to message #674734] Thu, 14 February 2019 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srinivas.k2005
Hi John,

I have an extra step of updating the rows is causing issue, I have suggested below to Solution team and waiting for their reply. Sure will use as rows and not as records.

1. Create a exact replica backup table of TEST without data with all constraints exactly same as TEST table
2. Add new two columns
3. Write a direct insert to backup table and Swap table with DBMS_REDEFINITION , both should go together

INSERT INTO TEST_ORG
(Columns..)
SELECT Columns.., XREF columns
FROM  TEST C, TEST_XREF H
WHERE C.ID = H.ID;

commit;

--Sync Delta data

EXEC DBMS_REDEFINITION.START_REDEF_TABLE('SCHEMA','TEST', 'TEST_ORG');
EXEC DBMS_REDEFINITION.SYNC_INTERIM_TABLE('SCHEMA','TEST', 'TEST_ORG');
EXEC DBMS_REDEFINITION.FINISH_REDEF_TABLE ('SCHEMA', 'TEST', 'TEST_ORG');

Disadvantages:

1. Insert to Backup table can take time and we are forced to use Direct insert so that we dont loose any delta data and can impact redo log due to 9 million records
2. If DBMS_REDEFINITION takes time to initaite the process, we may have data loss and we have to create scripts to validate between the Swaped and original table and then drop the table
3. During the Start and Finish redefinition we may experience a certain time of lock on table which may cause application issues

Thanks,
SRK
Re: Add new columns and update to 600MB table online mode with zero downtime [message #674753 is a reply to message #674752] Thu, 14 February 2019 07:44 Go to previous message
John Watson
I don't know why I bothered replying. You ignored everything I said. Good bye.
Previous Topic: select Statement with CASE and month count
Next Topic: XMLType Column Comparison in Select Query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:28:16 CDT 2024