Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Error message: ORA-08103: object no longer exists.
Error message: ORA-08103: object no longer exists. [message #677709] Tue, 08 October 2019 09:01 Go to previous message
abhilashrn
I have a scenario with two ETL batch jobs(Lets call them Job A and Job B) belonging to different subject areas with no dependency among each other, but operating on same table.

job A has the following statement

ALTER TABLE <TABLENAME> TRUNCATE PARTITION (PNAME) UPDATE INDEXES

job B does a simple select * from the same table above

Now the issue is this. On rare occasions they kind of overlap or run simultaneously causing the below error in second batch job (which has the select statement)

Error message: ORA-08103: object no longer exists.

We are aware that the root cause is because it is trying to select from the table when the partition is being truncated. We even were able to reproduce it in the TEST environment where we ran the batch job 2 and on a separate toad session we ran the Truncate PArtition query

As I said this happens on only once or twice a month when these jobs run simultaneously. This is completely not in our control as we cant set dependencies between these 2. As i said they belong to different domains and we cant just make 1 job wait for another

In this case, is there something which can be done in the Job B SELECT query such that this error does not happen ?

Version Info:
Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message