Home » Other » Client Tools » UI to Display DB Table to End Users & ability to Update Table from UI (Oracle DB 11.2.0.4)
UI to Display DB Table to End Users & ability to Update Table from UI [message #670305] Mon, 25 June 2018 14:18 Go to next message
nickz
I am on Oracle DB 11.2.0.4. Maybe, this a very dumb question, but is there any easy/simplest way to display my table contents to the end user on a UI and have them make changes to it on the click of a button and the changes would be committed to the DB table.

REQUIREMENT:
- I have a table in DB, which has some info.
- The end users should be able to see the data in the DB table on a web page.
- The end user should be able to EDIT the data they see, and click on UPDATE button, which commits the changes to the DB table (addition of new record, updates to existing record, deletion of a record).

I haven't worked in any UI. Is there any simplest and easiest way (any WYSIWYG tool) to connect to Oracle DB and have these displayed in web form?

Example: Spotfire, where you can create a library page > add DB tables > design the page as you want > publish (which provides a web url)

[Updated on: Mon, 25 June 2018 14:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: UI to Display DB Table to End Users & ability to Update Table from UI [message #670306 is a reply to message #670305] Mon, 25 June 2018 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Sounds like a perfect use case for APEX (Application Express). Simple to set up, you probably need nothing more than the EPG to provide http access. If you need help with a bit of training, any number of people (including the company I work for Smile ) will be happy to help. Or teach yourself, there is plenty of online training material provided by Larry.
Re: UI to Display DB Table to End Users & ability to Update Table from UI [message #670308 is a reply to message #670306] Mon, 25 June 2018 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nickz
Awesome! I checked out a tutorial and looks like it would work perfectly:
http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/devdays2012/apexp1_lab/apexp1_lab.html

Will definitely check out some more tutorials which provides a more step by step hands-on tutorial.

Is it available as part of the Oracle DB 11g or available as part of a separate licensing?
What do I need to install n the client side to get started with it?
Does the DBA need to enable something to enable the seamless integration with our database?
What's the Oracle APEX version available with 11.2.0.4?

Re: UI to Display DB Table to End Users & ability to Update Table from UI [message #670311 is a reply to message #670308] Tue, 26 June 2018 03:27 Go to previous message
gazzag
Quote:
Is it available as part of the Oracle DB 11g or available as part of a separate licensing?
If your Oracle install is licensed, Apex is free.
Quote:
What do I need to install n the client side to get started with it?
A web browser.
Quote:
Does the DBA need to enable something to enable the seamless integration with our database?
There is a database install to create some Apex objects in the database and an image install for the application server. This can be the same machine as the database server if required.
Quote:
What's the Oracle APEX version available with 11.2.0.4?
Go for Apex 5.1

[Edit: typo]

[Updated on: Tue, 26 June 2018 03:49]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Editor Error
Next Topic: Substitute for PL SQL Developer?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:12:21 CDT 2024