Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Setting values on crash...
Setting values on crash... [message #36158] Thu, 08 November 2001 03:30 Go to next message
Rob Baillie
Here's one for you... it'll go round a little before it gets to the point, but hold with me...

Using Oracle 7, Forms 6i, Reports 6i

I want to produce a set of directed Report print servers. Useful for a workflow system:

Reports are split into two sections, an extract procedure and formatting report module. As an option you can print a report in the background and direct it to a User or Group (held in application specific tables).

Doing this with run the extract in the background (USER_JOBS), and not directly kick off the report module.

On a number of PC's there will be running Report Servers (Forms modules that kick off the report modules and print as and when reports have been extracted). These servers are interested in reports directed at particular Users or Groups. Only one server can be interested in any particular User or Group (User interest takes priority over Group interest if there is a clash).

Now... programatically checking that only one Server TYPE is interested in a party is easy... we all know that! But... I need to make sure that only one of each
server type is active at any one time.

I am planning on simply holding this as a field on a UTIL_REPORT_SERVER_TYPES table: 'Running'. However, if a Report Server forms module crashes (that never happens... ;) ) I need to be able to clean up this flag.

I've thought along the lines of using DBMS_ALERTS to register the fact that the module is still running, but I'm not sure if I like that...

But I can't think of any other method...

Any ideas out there?

Cheers in advance people...

Rob Baillie

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Setting values on crash... [message #36173 is a reply to message #36158] Thu, 08 November 2001 08:49 Go to previous message
andrew again
I'm not sure, but even if you have a DBMS_JOB, there should be a matching entry in V$SESSION, so you could rather use this dynamic view than your manual flag? Remember too that you'd need to be able to commit your flag for other sessions to see it...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Topic: rowid
Next Topic: How to open wrapped packages???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:24:25 CDT 2024