Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Active table-update monitoring (using pl/sql?)
Active table-update monitoring (using pl/sql?) [message #37072] Tue, 15 January 2002 17:04 Go to next message
Kenneth Schulstad
I'm stumbled stuck with the following scenario:

Oracle db running solaris.

I want the database to actively and immediately send some kind of message to an external application whenever a given table has been updated. This should preferrably be done using sockets or anything similar. The reason for this is that I can't afford having the application poll the db since that would mean too high a load on the network (If the external application should poll the db, this would have to be done _very frequently_ since the external application I'm developing must be as realtime-based as possible).

The oracle db in question does not have any support for java (old version of oracle). Now, I'm a beginner to pl/sql, but was wondering if I could solve my problem (that is, getting the db to send a message to my external application whenever a table is being updated) using pl/sql? Does anyone have other suggestions on languages/techniques to use?

I would be very grateful for any hints pushing me in the right direction, or any comments to my problem at all :)

Regards
Kenneth Schulstad
Re: Active table-update monitoring (using pl/sql?) [message #37083 is a reply to message #37072] Wed, 16 January 2002 11:58 Go to previous message
Suresh Vemulapalli
have a look at dbms_pipe package documentation..
Previous Topic: Read same table during Update Trigger Error
Next Topic: Trigger and rollback..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:07:32 CDT 2024