Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Find and Replace in text files only (Sun Solaris 10)
Find and Replace in text files only [message #413730] Fri, 17 July 2009 06:42 Go to next message
graham009
I want to replace text in all TEXT (not binary) files in the directory (including sub-directories).

I am new to scripting in Unix (I just started using a Sun Solaris 10 platform which seems to limit what you can use from the Web).

I need help to combine the following find and sed commands and perhaps an explanation of how the 'piping' of data from one command feeds into the other work. Again you can find examples and some notes on how they work, but unsure how to save the original files with the changes made.

I would like to use sed for the substation, but I have to use find to determine what files I want to use.

find . -exec grep n "oldText" '{}' \; -print 

This nearly works for the current directory only, but the files are not modified!

find . -type f -name '*.read' -print -exec sed s/oldText/newText/g '{}' \;

If I include the -i option with sed I get the error:-

sed: illegal option -- i

How can I have the file name fed into the sed command and have the files modified and saved inline?

Many Thanks,

Graham.
Re: Find and Replace in text files only [message #413732 is a reply to message #413730] Fri, 17 July 2009 06:59 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
This question bears no connection with Oracle.
Please find a more appropriate forum.
The topic is locked.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Message file sp1.msb not found, Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus
Next Topic: add leading spaces
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:01:04 CDT 2024