Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Unix-vs-Linux
Unix-vs-Linux [message #98118] Tue, 09 March 2004 01:13 Go to next message
Mehboob Ahmed
I am looking for such report or some kind of chart showing comparison between Unix and Linux operating systems. Which one of them has advantages and which one disadvantages? I will appreciate if any body can help me in this regard. Which operating system I should select for Oracle Applications 11i (ERP System) regardless of cost.).
Re: Unix-vs-Linux [message #98143 is a reply to message #98118] Sat, 03 April 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arundati
sir i want to know the features between unix and linux operating systems
so kindly help me regardig this matter

thank u
Re: Unix-vs-Linux [message #98148 is a reply to message #98118] Tue, 06 April 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Himanshu Varma
Pls send me comparision between UNIX & LYNUX
Unix-vs-Linux [message #98158 is a reply to message #98143] Mon, 12 April 2004 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lijo
Sir,

I would like to know the features of Unix & Linux OS. Which one will have better performance. Could you please help me in this regard.

Thanks
Lijo.
Re: Unix-vs-Linux [message #98177 is a reply to message #98118] Wed, 21 April 2004 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pradeep
"comparison between Unix and Linux operating systems"

i am looking for the same..
i just know that
UNIX- Developed by Bell labs...
LINUX - developed from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from an alliance of hackers across the net.

UNIX-limited GUI.
LINUX-extensive use of GUI.

Nything more you may be knowing??
Re: Unix-vs-Linux [message #98239 is a reply to message #98148] Fri, 21 May 2004 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandeep hinge
Linux is a kernel, which is used in many different O/S distributions.
The distro companies take the kernel and add their own installation program, tools,
etc... to it. Some commonly known distros are RedHat, Slackware, Debian, Mandrake...

UNIX was an O/S created at Bell Labs (AT&T) back in the late 60's. Berkeley modified
it to be BSD UNIX, whereas AT&T stuck with it's version, System 5. All versions of
UNIX are based on one of these, or both. In 1985 Sun made an agreement with AT&T to
merge the 2 back together. Much in the same way Linux distros created their own
variants, so did HP, DEC, etc... by licensing UNIX and adding their own tools,
interface, etc.... to make it their own. The UNIX trademark is now owned by X/Open
and they brand various versions if they meet the Single UNIX Specification.

So, All Unices are based on AT&T's original UNIX, and all Linuxes are based on Linus
Torvald's kernel. However, the interfaces are very alike, and many people use the
general term UNIX to describe both.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linux by design is not Unix-derived (except by functional comparison.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Linux vs. UNIX

Pros: Linux has a larger availability of software and drivers then most versions of UNIX. Variants of UNIX such as SUN Solaris may have about the same or more availability of software and drivers then some versions of Linux.

Pros: Linux issues and bugs generally are always fixed extremely fast and will likely be fixed before an issue in UNIX is fixed.

Pros: Linux is available for free or for a small cost. Most versions of UNIX or Variants of UNIX can be very expensive. It is important to note that versions of SUN Solaris are available for free for end-users.

Cons: Many versions of UNIX are a project of a centralized company and all issues, information and support are maintained at one central location.

Cons: Many versions of UNIX allow for very large scalability and maintain reliability.

Note: There are various studies done by different companies that show the performance differences and stability of Linux vs. UNIX / UNIX variants. Because of the differences between all of these reports, Computer Hope does not list pro's or con's with performance and/or stability on either Linux or UNIX.
Re: Unix-vs-Linux [message #98273 is a reply to message #98158] Sat, 12 June 2004 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiran kumar
sir,
tell me the difference between unix and linux.
i am confused about the difference between them
thanks,
kiran
Re: Unix-vs-Linux [message #98275 is a reply to message #98158] Mon, 14 June 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to gandi sala harami
aba harami chutia consult an oriya man to read this good words
Re: Unix-vs-Linux [message #98278 is a reply to message #98158] Thu, 17 June 2004 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mukesh K Srivastava
Since Linux is from Unix family only, but they can be differentiated w.r.t Application areas.
- Linux is OSS but Unix is held by Core team of Unix who developed Unix.
- Every OS, including UNIX and Linux, suffers from vulnerabilities and bugs that have to be patched, fixed and updated. But Linux enjoys a clear advantage over its elder sibling in this department. Linux bugs tend to die an early death, because the OS undergoes an incredible amount of scrutiny in the global open-source community.
- Commercial Linux Web serving applications tend to be less expensive than their UNIX equivalents, because of unified standards in the open source model.
- Unix will be replaced by Linux while concentrating on new opportunities such as e-commerce and embedded intelligence in consumer appliances.
- UNIX doesn't support as much hardware as Linux does.
- UNIX is known for having one of the fastest TCP/IP
stacks in the operating-system world.
- Because UNIX has a single source tree that is controlled by a core team, it tends to be more stable that Linux, and therefore is often more suitable for a production environment. The main drawback to this is that new features are not always implemented as quickly in UNIX as in Linux. There is a trade-off here. Do you want stability for a production environment? Or, do you want the latest gizmos and gadgets to play with at the expense of performance and stability?

I guess working on LINUX in coming days will certainly POPUP with differences between UNIX-vs-LINUX.

Thanks,
Mukesh K Srivastava
Re: Unix-vs-Linux [message #98334 is a reply to message #98118] Sat, 24 July 2004 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
P.Vijaya Saradhi
Hi,

Please send me the exact diffrences between UNIX Vs LINUX

-Vijay
Re: Unix-vs-Linux [message #98579 is a reply to message #98118] Thu, 13 January 2005 15:07 Go to previous message
Precious
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"
UNIX: "Are you guys coming or what?"
Previous Topic: Urgent solution required
Next Topic: Read value to a variable in shell script
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:56:18 CDT 2024