Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Transforming an embedded PL/SQL exception to exit from shell script
Transforming an embedded PL/SQL exception to exit from shell script [message #98176] Wed, 21 April 2004 13:02 Go to next message
Art Metzer
I want to call a little PL/SQL repeatedly within a Korn shell script, so I set up a shell-script function.

This shell-script function, get_plsql_result, in turn calls a PL/SQL function (its argument, $1) and returns the PL/SQL function's output to the shell-script function's output.

The problem:  If the PL/SQL function raises an exception, what I want to happen is for the error message to be written out to the screen (echoed), and completely exit the shell script.

But the following code is treating the error message as the output from the function, which I don't want to happen!

#!/bin/ksh

get_plsql_result ()
{
    plsql_result=`sqlplus -s scott/tiger <<!
    SET SERVEROUTPUT ON
    SET HEADING OFF
    SET TRIMSPOOL ON
    SET PAGESIZE 0
    SET FEEDBACK OFF
    SET DEFINE OFF
    BEGIN
        DBMS_OUTPUT.ENABLE(1000000);
        DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(SUBSTR($1,1,250));
    EXCEPTION
        -- If there's an error, write it out.
        WHEN OTHERS THEN
            DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(SUBSTR(SQLERRM,1,250));
    END;
/
!`
    error_indicator=`echo "$plsql_result" | cut -f1 -d':' | grep '^ORA-[[0-9]]{5}:' | wc -l`

# Normal condition
    if [[ "$error_indicator" -eq 0 ]]
    then
        echo "$plsql_result"

# Error condition
    elif [[ "$error_indicator" -eq 1 ]]
    then
        echo "$plsql_result"
        exit 1
    fi
}

I really want to differentiate between an echo that means "return this value from this function" and "write out this string to the screen".

How can I translate the embedded PL/SQL exception to a fatal error in the shell script?

Thanks,

Art.
Re: Transforming an embedded PL/SQL exception to exit from shell script [message #98185 is a reply to message #98176] Fri, 23 April 2004 09:03 Go to previous message
jan
what happens if you remove the exception block from the pl/sql code.

may be it returns a error code to the shell script which you can use.

its just a guess..

Jan
Previous Topic: Frank.bit of confusion.so new message has been posted.
Next Topic: direct connexion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:50:05 CDT 2024