Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Need Help!
Need Help! [message #98200] Thu, 06 May 2004 07:04 Go to next message
System Administrator
Hello All ,

How do i set nfiles parameter on a HPUX Server L-3000,  having 4GB of physical mem, and Oracle 8 running on it , and what is the max.limit for nfiles. why is it important to increase the size. And last but the least , is there any site where i could find some information on nfiles.

thanx

SA
Re: Need Help! [message #98251 is a reply to message #98200] Fri, 28 May 2004 09:52 Go to previous message
Tak Tang
'nfiles' is a kernal parameter. I think it denotes the maximum number of files (actually inodes) that can be open system wide at any one time. Run out of these, and no process will be able to open another file. You'll get crashes all over the place. Set it too high and you 'waste' memory. On our (now decommissioned) HP-UX 11 K400, you set 'nfiles' by logging in as root, and using the 'sam' (system administrator) program. Afterwards, you would have to recompile the kernal, and reboot the machine. I have never done this myself, I left it to our System Administrators.

You could try http://www.hp.com/. If you have a support contract, ask HP for guidance - you do not want to end up with a machine with an invalid kernal.

Takmeister
Previous Topic: validation of the script in oracle when logging from shell script
Next Topic: Sed or Java
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:04:57 CDT 2024