Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle
Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98501] Sun, 05 December 2004 11:12 Go to next message
Ethan
does anyone know to to setup a pdf writer in oracle 10.7?  We have one computer guy(not a dba) and he is under the impression that to add a printer in our version or oracle, it must have an IP address, which the pdf writer doesn't(the comp that has the software does, but if you give orace that ip address, what will casue the pdf writer to run?

My main goal is to pdf reports and orders, that have special tmepelts, so exporting is not an option

Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98503 is a reply to message #98501] Mon, 06 December 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
There are several Windows based tools where you put a file into an IN directory, it gets converted to PDF in an OUT directory. If your Oracle is on Unix, then you can write your output file into an NFS mounted directory. The windows IN directory maps to this location. The problem seems to be that when you they to pring a non-standard size which goes out of bounds, then the Windows machine gets a confirmation dialog box (from the PDF print driver) which hangs the whole queue until it's acknowledged by a user...
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98504 is a reply to message #98503] Mon, 06 December 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
I probably mis-understood - you are already creating the pdf right? You specify acrobat as the output fmt in the reports runtime...
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98537 is a reply to message #98504] Wed, 22 December 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ethan
hmmm...You did misunderstnad, but i am not already creating the PDF....I would like to create a pdf from oracel 10.7 Right now, from oracle, we can only print to a real physical printer that has an IP address. Our It guy does not know how to setup a PDFwriter in oracle, so that we can print straight to PDF from oracle......
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98538 is a reply to message #98537] Wed, 22 December 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
Well, I know that Oracle reports does support it. The command line is something like:
rwrun60 report=path/report.rdf userid=scott/tiger@db P_trader='value' destype=file desformat=pdf desname=path/filename.pdf batch=yes
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98539 is a reply to message #98538] Wed, 22 December 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ethan
BTW, i am told we are using oracle reports version 6, and that it does not suport printing to PDF(only what i'm told)

Thanx
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98540 is a reply to message #98538] Wed, 22 December 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ethan
I showed your reply to my IT guy, and he said that means nothing to him...he's not a "unix guy"(your reply went over his head), so would it be possible for you to give detailed intrusctions on how to setup a pdf writer as a rpinter?

Thanx so much for your help
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98541 is a reply to message #98540] Wed, 22 December 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
I put together a quick little "hello world" some time ago but don't have any details.

Try googling on rwrun60 desformat=pdf

Also - as you can see rwrun60 is the 6.0 version, so you might want to try searching on some other versions too...
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98542 is a reply to message #98541] Wed, 22 December 2004 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ethan
searching for that on goodle didn't really help.....I wish ther was some way to asign an IP address to a pdf writer.....or could some sort of macro be written, where you send the data to a certain computer, and it automatically send the data to the pdf writer on it hard drive....

I need oracle and unix for dummies....I'm a mechanical engineer, trying to solve a logistics issue.....wish i had more knowledge of networks..............

Thanx for all your help

Have a happy holiday
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98578 is a reply to message #98542] Thu, 13 January 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim
For 10.7NCA put the following into the options field for the Concurrent Program definition:

VERSION=2.0b OUTPUT_FORMAT=PDF

Hope that helps.

email if you need more help.

Tim
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98580 is a reply to message #98578] Fri, 14 January 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ethan
this will list a PDF writer as a printer in oracle?
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98593 is a reply to message #98580] Mon, 24 January 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim
You then need to define a Printer in Oracle that has this PDF Style enabled.

This Style is a place-holder only. It really does not do anything that I know of.

For my company, we then define a PDF driver that then uses Acrobat for UNIX by eay of scripting to convert to Postscript and then print.

cat $PROFILES$.FILENAME | /opt/Acrobat5/bin/acroread -toPostScript -shrink | lp -c -onobanner -d $PROFILES$.PRINTER -n $PROFILES$.CONC_COPIES $PROFILES$.FILENAME

Hope this helps.
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98594 is a reply to message #98593] Mon, 24 January 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ethan
I am told by my IT guy that we can only define a printer in oracel that has an IP addres, which a PDF writer does not have....Do you know how to setup a pritner without an IP adress in such an old version of orcle?(one so old that oracle no longer supports it, and hasn't for years)

Thanx
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98595 is a reply to message #98594] Mon, 24 January 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim
ONly way around it is to set-up a printer on the network and on the UNIX box.
Then create it in Oracle.

If you are never going to print a hardcopy directly from Oracle adn Unix, then just remove the printer from the network.

Oracle will still have it connected adn UNIX will still have it defined. As long as you set Conc. Request copies to zero, you should be OK.
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98596 is a reply to message #98595] Mon, 24 January 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ethan
how do you setup a pdf writer on the network and unix box to have an IP adress?
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98597 is a reply to message #98596] Mon, 24 January 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim
You do NOT set-up a PDF writer.

Per my prior message, you configure Reports to output PDF format. Oracle Reports is its own writer.
The file Reports generates then needs to be put on the file system and then if the printer driver is set-up to do so, then print the PDF. Only way to do this is to convert to Postscipt.

If you are not printing a hardcopy, the only reason you are setting up a printer is Oracle requires a printer to print to even if you are setting copies to zero and printing nothing.
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98598 is a reply to message #98597] Mon, 24 January 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ethan
how do i configure Reports to output PDF format?
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98599 is a reply to message #98596] Mon, 24 January 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim
Per my original message,

'
For 10.7NCA put the following into the options field for the Concurrent Program definition:

VERSION=2.0b OUTPUT_FORMAT=PDF

Hope that helps.'
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98600 is a reply to message #98599] Mon, 24 January 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ethan
where and how do i access this "options field for the Concurrent Program definition"
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98601 is a reply to message #98600] Mon, 24 January 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim
Sys. Admin- Concurrent - Program - Define.

In the Executable section of this form o nthe left side middle.
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98610 is a reply to message #98597] Mon, 31 January 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ethan
We don't use "oracle reports"...our reports are built into our applications.....
Re: Printing to PDF in older versions of oracle [message #98611 is a reply to message #98610] Mon, 31 January 2005 12:02 Go to previous message
Tim
Then I've got no clue.
If would then depend on your 'app' can do or how it interacts directly with Unix, etc.
Previous Topic: install oracle on sco unix
Next Topic: File transfer from unix to windows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:01:35 CDT 2024