Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Oracle 9 installer freeze at Welcome screen
Oracle 9 installer freeze at Welcome screen [message #98566] Wed, 05 January 2005 04:25 Go to next message
Dawei
So here's my problem. I'm trying to launch the Oracle installation for a while, but I still have the same problem. I can't go further the welcome screen. It seems that my laptop isn't sending anything after to my Unix solaris box.

I tried with my desktop and succeeded. Everything's launched the right way. My problem is that I want to identify what's getting my laptop not to continue after this welcome screen.

Nothing is produced on the Unix box as error message or the like, because it's actually just waiting for the orders my laptop doesn't want to send.

I'm using cygwin to play my Xserver which connects. I'm sure that everything's ok with all the different pre install task as it works with my desktop...

Does anyone have an idea ???

Thanks a lot for reading me.

David
Re: Oracle 9 installer freeze at Welcome screen [message #98567 is a reply to message #98566] Wed, 05 January 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ronald Beck
I think that your problem is probably a networking issue. Does your desktop have a static IP address? Is your laptop using a DHCP assigned address. Problems like this usually indicate that the application on the UNIX system can't do a reverse lookup of your IP name to display the rest of the info. Try something like "setenv DISPLAY <laptop_IP_addr>:0", where <laptop_IP_addr> is the IP address of your laptop and see if this resolves your problem.

HTH,
Ron
Re: Oracle 9 installer freeze at Welcome screen [message #98569 is a reply to message #98567] Wed, 05 January 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okan
which type of CPU using ...
if your CPU p4 ,you must apply oracle universal installer
p4 patch ...

okan.
Re: Oracle 9 installer freeze at Welcome screen [message #98571 is a reply to message #98569] Thu, 06 January 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dawei
I'm installing it on a Sunfire V120, which has SPARC3 CPUS's I think (should verify). But, anyway, not P4, but you're right, I already read something like that searching for my own problem.

Thanks
Re: Oracle 9 installer freeze at Welcome screen [message #98572 is a reply to message #98567] Thu, 06 January 2005 06:11 Go to previous message
Dawei
First of all, thanks for your reply ! I found another bizarre thing. Instead of using cygwin (which works for my desktop), I'm using Winaxe, doing exactly the same steps :

- launch Winaxe, X-server ready to accept client connections.

- on Sun machine and as Oracle:
export DISPLAY=laptop_IP:0.0
and it's working...

Concerning the root cause, the 2 computers are on the same network, receiving dynamic IP (actually always the same due to lease time). So it couldn't be a network error, DHCP side, but you're maybe right when you speak about reverse lookup.

I don't really understand what you mean by "setenv DISPLAY :0". What I used to do is initialize the DISPLAY variable with my desktop's IP address, which is running my X-server (use cygwin : doesn't work, use Winaxe, works fine), I'm doing this as oracle:

export DISPLAY=192.168.40.120:0.0 on my Unix box, and before launching the ./runInstaller

Thanks,

David
Previous Topic: Create a Pipe Delimited Extract File
Next Topic: Data Migration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:26:08 CDT 2024