Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » No image on an Iconic Button
No image on an Iconic Button [message #112516] Sat, 26 March 2005 08:14 Go to next message
Cuypman
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new at Oracle Forms Developer 9 and I have a question about iconic buttons.

As been instructed in school I added my work directory (i.e. D:\Projects\) to my registry-value for UI_ICON and FORMS90_PATH. Next I created a form and placed a Push Button on a new canvas. I set it to iconic and filled in the icon filename (i.e. img_article). The image in D:\Projects is called img_article.gif and as been told in school yet again, the extension must be dropped. (note: i also tried it with a .jpg file)

Thinking I played it by the rules so far, I compiled the form and ran it, but what happened? Nothing. The window shows with the canvas and the button, but no image, nor a label on the button, so I'm positive it is an iconic button.

Thinking it might have to do with using gif-files (although that shouldn't be a problem), i tried a .ico file from d:\oradev\reports\plugins\resource\ and noticed that the icon is shown on the button during design time. During runtime however, the button remains blank yet again.

Due to my limited knowledge of Forms Developer so far, this is the only thing I could come up with thus far. If someone could explain me what exactly went wrong, what I missed and how I might be able to solve this problem, that would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Maarten
Re: No image on an Iconic Button [message #113138 is a reply to message #112516] Thu, 31 March 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Okay. In 9i Form Builder the icons need to be '.ico' files and for the run time they need to be '.gif' files.

Unfortunately there is more than one type of '.gif' file definition.

But first, as Forms does not like large icons and also has a habit of rounding the size up to the next multiple of 16, try making your iconic button 32x32 or 64x64 and seeing if the '.gif' icon appears.

If not, open the '.gif' or '.ico' file in your icon builder software and try saving it as a different type of '.gif' file. If this does not work try saving as a '.bmp' file.

If still no success then try making the icon image quite small (eg. 8x8 pixels).
Re: No image on an Iconic Button [message #113177 is a reply to message #112516] Thu, 31 March 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuypman
Quote:

Okay. In 9i Form Builder the icons need to be '.ico' files and for the run time they need to be '.gif' files.

Unfortunately there is more than one type of '.gif' file definition.

But first, as Forms does not like large icons and also has a habit of rounding the size up to the next multiple of 16, try making your iconic button 32x32 or 64x64 and seeing if the '.gif' icon appears.

If not, open the '.gif' or '.ico' file in your icon builder software and try saving it as a different type of '.gif' file. If this does not work try saving as a '.bmp' file.

If still no success then try making the icon image quite small (eg. 8x8 pixels).

I assume MS Paint saves his GIF-files in the correct format..

Anyways, followed your advice and resized the image to 16x16, 32x32,48x48 and saved it as bmp, gif and ico file. Tried it in forms builder, with no succes at all. The ico shows during design time but not during runtime, and all the other formats don't show at all.

Just to make sure, i doublechecked the UI_ICON registry value and it was correct. (D:\oradev\reports\plugins\resource;D:\Projects)

I did not resize them to 8x8 because it would be useless as I wouldn't see any more on the image but some vague colors.. I found 32x32 even too small.

I appreciate the thought though Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 31 March 2005 06:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: No image on an Iconic Button [message #113265 is a reply to message #113177] Thu, 31 March 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I don't think that MS Paint does write the correct GIF, use one of the free icon builders.

You say you resized the image. I meant for you to resize the button on which you wish to show the image.

Try this exercise, place an existing Oracle icon on your button. Does it appear? [Possible issues to transparency in your colours.] Make a copy of this Oracle icon to another name. Use the new name. Does it still appear? Move the renamed icon to your directory. Does it still appear? Modify this renamed icon to have your image.

Good luck.
Re: No image on an Iconic Button [message #113309 is a reply to message #113265] Fri, 01 April 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuypman
djmartin wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 23:36

I don't think that MS Paint does write the correct GIF, use one of the free icon builders.

You say you resized the image. I meant for you to resize the button on which you wish to show the image.

Try this exercise, place an existing Oracle icon on your button. Does it appear? [Possible issues to transparency in your colours.] Make a copy of this Oracle icon to another name. Use the new name. Does it still appear? Move the renamed icon to your directory. Does it still appear? Modify this renamed icon to have your image.

Good luck.

I did use other tools to create the GIF files the last time, with no succes. I also tried using Oracle .ico files in D:\oradev\reports\plugins\resource, but they only show during design time and not during runtime.

Sorry, I misread your post. I tried resizing the button from very small to very large but in none of the cases the ico file shows. Even on 8x8 i can see that there's nothing on the button.
Re: No image on an Iconic Button [message #113463 is a reply to message #113309] Sun, 03 April 2005 22:35 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Okay ... reread the WHOLE of this thread ... ico files are for building, gif files etc are for run-time.

When I said use an existing Oracle icon, I meant use the 'ico' file in the build process and the 'gif' or other format in the runtime. Icons now work in PAIRS.

Follow the steps I detailed previously and post a reply detailing the item by item results. Keep the BUTTON big so that we don't run into the 'size rounding' problem.
Previous Topic: help
Next Topic: Oracle Forms at runtime
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:58:49 CDT 2024