Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » duplocate detail
duplocate detail [message #116022] Sat, 16 April 2005 06:53 Go to next message
jhsharma
i want to find the duplicate records based on multple columns e.g. uniqueness on emp,dept,cat( apart from primary key) in details block. I want it at the entry level only instead of commit process.
Re: duplocate detail [message #116116 is a reply to message #116022] Sun, 17 April 2005 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I am not sure of what you mean' at entry' versus 'commit' process.

However, to retrieve only those records that are duplicated you can try something like the following in the 'where' clause:
emp, dept, cat in 
(select emp, dept,cat
   from tab
  group by emp, dept, cat
  having count(*) > 1)

This will give you the records for which there are duplicate entries. If you have two entries, delete one, and then requery, the singularly occurring record will not be displayed.
Re: duplocate detail [message #116425 is a reply to message #116116] Wed, 20 April 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jhsharma
dear guru

infact my exact problem is this i want to check the detail at the entry level itself. e.g suppose i have entered 2 detail records in form . As soon as i go to the record 3 and try to entered the dupliate entry . I should be stopped to do so.

regards

jhs
Re: duplocate detail [message #116426 is a reply to message #116022] Wed, 20 April 2005 01:03 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Use a when-validate-record trigger on your block to test whether the three fields have been used in a previous combination. If they have fail produce a message and fail the record.

You could also place a when-validate-item trigger on each field which tests if the three fields are populated (not null) and if so, test against the database.
Previous Topic: Filling datablock
Next Topic: how to arrange fields in my text output
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:49:13 CDT 2024