Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Swap space
Swap space [message #151608] Thu, 15 December 2005 19:34 Go to next message
*Jess*

Hi All,

What is the meaning of swap space? Prior to Oracle installation, there is a minimum value of swap space require. How to check whether the system has enough swap space?

Thanks in advance!
Re: Swap space [message #151708 is a reply to message #151608] Sun, 18 December 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> Prior to Oracle installation,

Prior to installation, Read the installation guide.
It would give you the requirements based on your Oracle Version.
Usually its around 400-800mb or twice the size of RAM or whichever is greater.
Quote:

Swap space in Linux is used when the amount of physical memory (RAM) is full. If the system needs more memory resources and the physical memory is full, inactive pages in memory are moved to the swap space. While swap space can help machines with a small amount of RAM, it should not be considered a replacement for more RAM. Swap space is located on hard drives, which have a slower access time than physical memory.

Swap space can be a dedicated swap partition (recommended), a swap file, or a combination of swap partitions and swap files.

The size of your swap space should be equal to twice your computer's RAM, or 32 MB, whichever amount is larger, but no more than 2048 MB (or 2 GB).

In some operating systems like Windows it is called as Virtual memory.
Quote:

Systems like Windows XP require more operational memory than most systems have installed
as actual "physical memory".
All modern operating systems handle this by using "Virtual Memory" : memory, which does
not exist as physical existing memory chips, but has emulated memory by using a part of the
disk to temporary store information, which is currently not used by the CPU, from physical memory
to disk, to make room for information currently used by the CPU. if such information placed on the
disk is required by the CPU at a later time, other information in memory is store to disk, making
space for the needed information to be put back into physical memory.

Since information be be swapped several time between physical memory and the disk, the file
on the disk used to store memory information is often called "Swap-file".
Since the information is swapped in fixed size units called "Pages", the file is also call "Page File".
Re: Swap space [message #151737 is a reply to message #151608] Sun, 18 December 2005 20:13 Go to previous message
*Jess*

If the requirement for swap space is 1 GB. That means I should check my RAM whether there is 512MB available?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
Previous Topic: crontab file
Next Topic: The Ctrl M Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:55:07 CDT 2024